Monday, April 28, 2008

FROZEN STUFF - LIMES


I don't know about you, but when I don't have limes, I need a lime. Isn't that just the way it goes. And now that I have a 1 year old (child that is), I can't easily just run to the store anytime I need to. 

So, being the convenience-loving girl that I am, I wondered how they would hold up if tossed into the freezer?  This way I could have limes (and California tree ripened lemons) on hand always. Well, it turned out better than expected. The peel protects the inside from any freezer burn, and the freezing actually works in your favor, because the flesh breaks down ever so slightly, like frozen stuff does, making it much easier to retrieve the juice! 


All frosty, fresh out of the deep freeze.  I drop it into a bowl of warm water, and it takes about 15 minutes or less for a lime to completely thaw.


See- it's beautiful! And tastes no different from fresh. Someone pass me the Patron. 


FINAL NOTE:  The pith will also be "softened" after thaw, so be careful to discard that before juicing so you don't have bitter juice. I just cut the entire rind off, then squeeze the pulp over a cup, or the food. Zesting can be done before you cut off the rind.