Monday, October 6, 2008

SIDE DISH - KEN'S CHINESE FIVE SPICE ASPARAGUS


About a year (or two?) ago I was on the phone with my best friend and she mentioned that her husband made this great asparagus on the grill ... 

He seasoned it with Chinese Five Spice. Interesting, I thought. That was pretty much the end of it.

long time later -- I remembered it out of the blue. Maybe because it was interesting, or maybe just for no reason at all, but I thought it would make a great "Side Dish" post. 

You'll need:

1 bunch young asparagus
1 tsp olive oil
1 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Chinese Five Spice
Salt & Pepper to taste
(optional - and only if you like sweet stuff) 1 tsp Brown Sugar

I was too lazy to uncover the grill. So, I steamed my asparagus. 


Then I flash-browned it in the olive oil & butter.



The five spice, as  you can see, is mostly warm spices, so if you liked things sweet, a generous pinch of sugar (or brown sugar!) would go excellent with the flavors. My husband does not like sweet foods though, so I just used the five spice and s&p.


After the quick saute, dust with the five spice powder (and sugar, if desired) and toss. It's different, intensely flavorful, exotic, easy and GOOD.