Friday, April 4, 2008

SOMETIMES LESS IS MORE

One of my favorite things about authentic ethnic foods is their simplicity. Sure, there are plenty of complicated dishes - hello, mole! But at the same time, the more common everyday foods are just a few fresh ingredients put together to make fantastic eats. Some of my favorites are the grilled Japanese foods~ it doesn't get any more simple than that. Or, fresh Tabouleh. Cuban dishes like fried pork and black beans. Guacamole. The French and their eggs; Poached. Fried. Omelettes. Crepes. 

So today, when wondering what to have for breakfast, I found myself looking at some leftover bread from yesterday and a carton of fresh eggs and I thought, keep it simple. A pat of butter on the bread, pop it under the broiler for a minute or two. Poach the eggs, and garnish with flakey sea salt and fresh ground pepper. It was, perfect.  And had I had a glass of rose' as well, I would have swore I was back in Paris.