Friday, October 3, 2008

SIDE DISH - BON APPETIT'S CITRUS-GLAZED CARROTS


The stars were aligned just perfectly I guess. 

I've been focusing on side dishes lately. Then, the other night I was reading Thursday Night Smackdown's First Thursday Challenge and while I usually don't participate in these food challenges -- merely because I only have time to cook my own stuff and no time for other people's "requests" --  I thought it sounded kinda fun. Mostly because you got to choose what you made. Then, while thumbing through the Bon Appetit Nov/08 Thanksgiving Special issue I see a pretty picture of a plate of carrots. The challenge was for something orange. It's a side dish. And, it looks easy and good! 


The ingredients are simple, just carrots, sugar, orange juice, lime juice, some zest, butter and parsley. If I can say this - the lime juice definitely makes this special. If you don't have limes, go get some. It's important. The flavor is amazing, and without the lime it would just be the same-ol glazed carrots your grandma made. This recipe is actually bright and fresh and these would be good cold or hot. 



Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut on diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 cups (or more) water
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (grated peel, no white part)
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley



Start by boiling the carrots, 2c water, and all ingredients except the parsley for about 10 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
 

Remove the carrots to a plate separate from the broth and let the broth continue to boil until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Let both rest/cool. 


I made mine last night and took it out today to finish it. Heat the liquid to a boil in a skillet, then add the carrots and cook over medium heat until the liquid is reduced to a syrup. Serve hot, or cold. I ate a few bites when it was right out of the pan, and it was very good, then put it in the fridge for later. I just got it out while writing this post, and I must say I prefer this cold. In fact, I've eaten almost the entire bowl! 
 


The end result is a very orange-flavored firm vegetable, with sweetness, and the lime flavor is amazing. The carrot taste is not strong at all, the citrus has overpowered the carrot taste. I know it sounds weird, but I think this would also make a good ice cream flavor.