Friday, May 8, 2009

MMMMMMMM!!!! Minty Margarita


Margarita season is upon us! Fresh lime. Crushed ice. Silver tequila. Triple Sec.



I love them traditional, don't get me wrong. But I'm ready for something with a twist.

So I added a bit of mint. And a splash of gin. And.... WHOA! SuperYUM!


Take a small handful of mint leaves, add it to a little bit of crushed ice and about a tablespoon of simple syrup and squish it around a little. I don't have a muddler, so I just used a fork. I guess a muddler would have done a better job and it would be way more minty - so keep that in mind. 


For one margarita: 
2 oz silver tequila
3/4 oz triple sec
1 lime - juiced by a super juicer (as seen below)
3/4 oz Hendricks Gin
small handful of fresh mint
1 tablespoon simple syrup


These juicers get probably 3x as much juice out of lemons and limes that you could ever squeeze by hand. You get what you pay for, and the cheap ones break, just a warning. I like the Norpro. 


After you muddle the mint, syrup and ice, add the rest of the ingredients, a splash of water, and more ice. Shake vigorously. Pour into glass and garnish with lime slice and more fresh mint.  I think you'll find this more tasty than any Mint Julep or Mojito you've ever had. Seriously.