Friday, April 9, 2010

MASCARPONE MASHED POTATOES FLAVORED WITH FRESH RAMPS

My first post back after a LONG break had to be something easy. I've had total "cookers block" the last few months. I started a new business, and it's just been hectic. I rarely cook anymore because at the end of the day I'm too tired to deal with it. But I'm slowly getting back into things. I'm forcing myself because I'm sick of eating pork chops and roast beef.

So, first up - a side with a seasonal twist. Mashed potatoes with ramps! Ramps (Allium tricoccum) are those great oniony-garlicky things that have a unique and delicious flavor that is familiar, yet unique. Mine are flown in to me each year at this time, and I always try to make something new each year.



Because my 3 year old was going to be eating these, I diced the ramps pretty small. If it were for adults, I would have probably left them larger. Whatever your preference is.

Sautee in butter with a little salt & pepper.

Since I'm a busy mom - I didn't warm the milk and mascarpone in a pan.
We used the microwave :)

Add the ramps & butter to the milk, black pepper, a dash more salt to taste,
and then a drizzle of olive oil (makes me feel as if it's healthy now).

I prefer a ricer for my mashed potatoes. Not only is it easy, but you don't have to work the potatoes as much, which prevents them from getting gluey.


Turns out... I should have made a double batch. The bowl was drained instantly.




Q: Where can I buy ramps?
A: We get ours from Doug. :) You can e-mail him at wrn453(at)aol.com and he will gladly add you to his mailing list to remind you when it is ramp season, and you can order fresh ramps from him too! He also sells them here during season.