Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'VE NEVER LIKED GROUND TURKEY MUCH, BUT THIS WAS EXCELLENT.

Ground chicken is so much better than ground turkey, in my opinion. But the other night I didn't have any ground chicken, all I had was ground turkey -- And why do I even buy it when I don't care for it? You got me. -- so I had to make it work.

At first I was thinking something along the lines of a Lebanese kibbeh styled thing, but what I ended up with was just a unique meat & vegetable cigar shaped meatballthingamajig. 

1 package ground turkey (usually between 1-1.5 lb.)
1 bunch swiss chard, cooked & chopped
1/4 large onion, cooked with the chard and also chopped
2-3 large cloved garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs, scrambled
salt & pepper

Obviously the biggest problem with ground turkey is that it's often tough and sorta flavorless. So you need to infuse it with as much moisture as possible (vegetables work well) as well as fat for flavor (the butter). And a lot of egg will also lighten the texture, and make it more tender. 



So it goes together like this:

Boil the chard and onion in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and squeeze as much water out as you can. Then chop it up small and drop it into a mixing bowl. 

Add the turkey to the mixing bowl, the 2 scrambled eggs and your salt and pepper.  

Then take the 2 tablespoons of butter and the 1 tablespoon of oil and the chopped garlic and saute on med-low heat until garlic is fragrant and golden brown, cooked through. I like lots of garlic :)  Add garlic, butter and all, to the meat mixture and mix all ingredients together. 

In a sauce pan (I use the same one I cooked the garlic in) cover the bottom with oil and heat.  The meat mixture is quite wet so it's hard to form into meatballs but you can do patties or cigar shapes. Carefully place them in the pan, and brown on all sides. Try not to overcook; leave them in there for just long enough to cook through and brown the sides and they will be tender and will almost melt in your mouth. 

Great for lunch or a snack. Slice it and serve over a salad. It's also a good way to trick the kids into eating swiss chard!  We had them for dinner with some fluffy basmati rice.