Sunday, November 9, 2008

MARSHMALLOW CANDIED PORK CHOPS! WHOA BABY!!

(you like food p*rn? go ahead, click it. you know you wanna.)
When you were a kid, and you roasted marshmallows, did you like them barely toasted, or totally black? I liked them burnt to a crisp. And as an adult, I still like them super-crispy. Eat off the crispy layer, and re-char it. Oh yeah. 

Speaking of marshmallows. I bought a bag of mini marshmallows for a fudge recipe I recently acquired. The ingredients for the fudge have been sitting there for weeks -- I'm not into sweets too much. But for some reason, my mind has been crazy with recipe ideas lately. Maybe it's because I was on vacation and away from the kitchen for a week? 

The inspiration for this recipe came from the season. I have never seen anything like it before, but candied yams were always a favorite of ours at Thanksgiving. I don't know why, but I saw those marshmallows in the cupboard, and I had a vision;  pork + marshmallows = maybe something really good?  And guys, it works! Very well :)


I figured, for this recipe, the boneless loin chops would be best. 


Coat pork with veg oil and season simply with salt and pepper. 


Sear chops on a really hot cast iron pan, about 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to a 500 degree oven. Cook 4 minutes on each side for a 2" thick chop. Remove pan from oven. Increase the oven heat to broil. 

Add marshmallows to chops. Put chops on bottom rack (so marshmallows melt slower, and don't burn).  Cook until desired marshmallow doneness. 

Here's MY chop. :)


A-MAZING. This was every bit as good as it looks. The pork was tender and juicy, and the marshmallow candy crust was crunchy on the outside, gooey underneath -- My only complaint was that there wasn't enough marshmallow!