Tuesday, August 12, 2008

SOFT SHELL CRAB

Fried Soft Shell Crab. This is not something I typically make at home. Some things I just prefer to order out.  I don't really deep fry (or even shallow fry) anything at home -- so things like soft shell crabs are best for me to just order off a Japanese menu. 

But I saw these beautiful little guys at the Santa Monica Seafood Market the other day and, well, I bought some. Fried food is totally not my thing, but I gave it a whirl. I simply dredged them in seasoned flour and sauteed them in about 1/4" of oil. They came out great.  One of the best things I've ever had was a salad at a favorite place of ours in San Diego ~~ it had soft shell crab, some sort of fruity vinaigrette and a mess of other ingredients, like olives and walnuts ... just a total hodgepodge of ingredients, but it was so good. I'm thinking I might grab a few more of these to keep in the freezer for the times  when I have one of those salad cravings! I guess it never hurts to venture out of the usual cooking comfort zone. You never know, you might just make something good.