Wednesday, January 23, 2008

FRESH LEMONS



Oh my gosh. Nothing beats fresh lemons. I mean right from the tree. With most produce there is usually a time during their peak season when you can get beautiful, fresh, vine ripe vegetables at the grocery or Farmer's Market. But lemons... never. They're always these small, hard pieces of junk. Well, in California anyway. Which is ironic since this is where lemons are GROWN and just about everyone has a lemon tree in their backyard! I was at my mother in law's the other day and was amazed to see that her sad looking lemon tree that was missing most of it's leaves was COVERED in big bright lemons. I was contemplating stealing lemons at night from neighbors then I found my legitimate source! I used to have a tree but it died after a year of heavy rain. I have been meaning to get a new one, but just don't have anywhere at the moment to plant it. I want the perfect spot, even if it means cutting out a hole in my concrete patio.

Lemons that are allowed to ripen on the tree are big and beautiful and the second you touch them you get a rush of sweet lemon aroma from the oil rich skin. Ahhhh......